The Outreach Committee of Grace Cathedral exists to further the mission of the Gospel in Topeka and beyond. It takes as its charge the text of Jesus’ summation of ministry as found in Matthew Chapter 25.37-40.
- Praying over and identifying opportunities for members of Grace Cathedral to become directly involved in changing society for the better in the name of God.
- Supporting hands-on, face to face engagement whenever possible.
- Speaking out on issues where potential exists to impact the quality of life for those we are called to serve, and leveraging our voice by joining it with those of other concerned citizens.
- Modeling participation and discernment, both in helping move big projects forward and in assisting the desires of others in our Grace Cathedral community to peruse their own individual avenues of ministry.
- Prioritizing our Giving to worthy organizations out of those resources annually allotted by the Grace Cathedral budget.
The Outreach Committee distributes funding to non-profit organizations in the Topeka area; the Episcopal Relief Fund and hands-on support to the Sandwich Ministry, JUMP, Grace Blessing Bags, “blankets, gloves, socks and hats”, and the Sharing Table funded by the Daughters of the King, which lovingly provide personal hygiene products.
In the Topeka Community and beyond
Here are just some of the ways our parish reaches out to those in the Topeka community:
Sandwich Ministry – The Cathedral has a Sandwich Ministry every Saturday from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. for people in our surrounding community. Every individual who stops by receives two sack lunches with peanut and butter and jelly sandwiches, chips and cookies.
Blessing Bags – The Blessing Bags are sturdy bags containing food items that do not require refrigeration. They are distributed to our surrounding community, first come first serve, the first Saturday of the month, starting at 8:30, am.
Sharing Table – The Sharing Table is funded by the Daughter’s of the King. These are personal hygiene items that are offered to our surrounding community the first Saturday of the month, starting at 8:30, am.
Special collections for disaster relief, aid to military families and other projects when the need arises